Record Donation to Cambridge University from Hedge Fund Founder

February 6, 2019 James Heinsman Hedge Fund News

David Harding, founder of the Winton Group, a UK-based hedge fund, donated a history-breaking £100 million ($131 million) to the University of Cambridge. It is the single largest private donation to a UK college.


About 75% of the gift will support full scholarships to 100 excelling PhD candidates, while the rest of the gift, about 25% of the money will be used to help undergraduates. Cambridge is the second-oldest of Britain’s universities.


Harding and his wife Claudia discussed their gift in a statement:


“Claudia and I are very happy to make this gift to Cambridge to help to attract future generations of the world’s outstanding students to research and study there.”


This donation represents a large percentage of the total amount of new money Britain’s universities received during the 2016-2017 academic year, at over 10%. The time for the donation couldn’t be better as the impending exit from the EU is likely to harm funding for the country’s institutions of higher learning.


Between 2007 and 2017 the UK raised about £767 million a year on average, according to Bloomberg. Mr. Harding, who is a Cambridge graduate of the physics department in 1982, gave £20 million to the school previously.

Cambridge University, David Harding, donation, Winton Group,

Comments are currently closed.


Powered by WordPress. Designed by elogi.